Here’s an easy and delish recipe featuring one of my fave veggies/fruit—eggplant! It's fragrant, filling, and versatile. You can add your own touch and throw in some olives, capers, cashew cream, or whatever else takes your fancy.
This can be served warm or as a room temperature salad.
• 185g instant couscous
• 200ml olive oil
• 1 chopped onion
• 1 eggplant
• 3 tsp ground cumin
• 1 clove garlic
• 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1/4 tsp ground cloves
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 50g vegan butter
• a handful of chopped parsley
1. Pour couscous into large bowl. Add 375 ml boiling water and leave for 10 mins, or until all the water is absorbed. Fluff up grains with a fork.
2. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan. Sauté the onion for 8-10 minutes, or until brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Cut eggplant into1-2cm cubes and place in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the spices together, then sprinkle over the eggplant, tossing until well coated.
4. Add remaining olive oil to the pan and reheat over medium heat. Cook the eggplant, turning once, for 20-25 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan.
5. Melt butter in the same pan, then add the couscous and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in onion, garlic and eggplant. Sprinkle on the parsley. Voila!